Sunday, April 22, 2007

First 2008 King Opponent in the Massapequa Post

Local coverage this early is pretty good.

Third Party candidate to run against Congressman King
by Tiffany Elliott
Pete King Third Congressional District residents would vote for a new third party candidate if they are convinced the candidate would listen to them and vote on the basis of what the majority wants, according to North Massapequa resident Bill Corrigan who just announced his run for the seat currently held by Congressman Peter King (R-Massapequa).
"We found that 74.9 percent of our survey takers are staying away from the polls come election day because they believe they have too little of a choice. It's like the lesser of two evils," said 36-year old Corrigan, an independent candidate who said he would most likely run under the "Long Island" or "Islander " party banner.
According to the political newcomer, 8,000 registered voters responded last month to his online website "Democracy Direct" and completed the survey."

"I believe I would be a good candidate for the seat because I would have the humility to say 'this is what the people want' and I'd be able to listen even if I don't agree," he said.
"After 15 years in his seat, King has become ineffectual," added the candidate, who works on Wall Street."

Reached in Washington, King said: "I am running hard for reelection, no matter who my opponent is. I encourage people to get involved in the political process."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.